ALICE’S SEAFOOD CHOWDER
3 sticks butter
¼ c. minced garlic
2 large onions, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
4-6 stalks of celery, chopped
1 ½-2 lbs. baby carrots, shredded
2 (8-oz.) sliced fresh mushrooms
3 lbs. small shrimp (if shrimp are too big, take kitchen shears and cut into pieces)
3 lbs. lump crabmeat
3 qt. bags of homemade Macque choux (see recipe under veggies) If you do not have the Macque choux use 3 cans Mexi-Corn, drained and 3 cans of Rotel.
2 pkgs. of frozen white shoe peg corn, thawed
2 (8-oz.) pkg. of cream cheese, room temperature
3 cans cream of potato soup
3-4 qts. Of half and half
Salt, red/black pepper and garlic powder
- Melt butter in large pot. Saute onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic until soft.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink.
- Add carrots and mushrooms and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and stir until blended.
- Add corn and soup. Blend.
- Add crabmeat and taste for seasoning.
- Heat through. When ready to serve, add the desired amount of half and half to get the consistency you like.
- If you would like to freeze, do so before you add the milk. These freezes beautifully. Even if you have leftovers that has already been mixed with the milk it will also freeze. I just like to freeze before I add the milk. I store it in the containers that suit my family needs and defrost and then add the milk.
*This is the most wonderful chowder. I get requests for this recipe all the time. It is just mouth watering and no one can resist it. You will love this recipe.
RECIPE FOR WHEN I FIX FOR LARGER AMOUNTS
1 lb. butter
¼ c. minced garlic
2 (16-oz.) containers chopped onions
½ each (yellow, red, orange, green) bell peppers, chopped
10 stalks celery, chopped
3 (10-oz.) bags shredded carrots
2 (8-oz.) containers sliced mushrooms, rough chop
5 lbs. small or medium shrimp (if medium, cut in half)
4 lbs. jumbo lump crabmeat
3 qts. homemade macque choux
2 pkgs. frozen white shoe peg corn or 4 (11-oz.) cans, drained
4 (8-oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, room temp
4 cans cream of potato soup
Half and half or milk
Salt, red/black pepper, garlic powder
- Follow directions above.