SOPHISTICATED CHOCOLATE BOURBON BALLS1 ¼ c. crushed chocolate wafer cookies1 c. powdered sugar2/3 c. toasted…
HEAVENLY BANANAS FOSTER UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
1 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 c. plus ¼ c. butter, softened and divided
2 T. dark rum
3 ripe bananas, sliced ¼”thick, crosswise
¾ c. sugar
2 T. canola oil
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
½ t. kosher salt
½ t. ground cinnamon
½ t. baking soda
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
¾ c. half and half
½ c. sour cream
½ c. mashed ripe banana
½ t. vanilla extract
½ t. rum extract
- Spray 10” cast iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In skillet, cook brown sugar, 1/3 c. butter and rum over medium heat, whisk constantly, until butter is melted and sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven 350.
- Arrange banana slices in concentric circles in brown sugar mixture in skillet.
- In large bowl, beat sugar, oil and remaining ¼ c. butter with mixer until light and fluffy, stop to scrape sides of bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and nutmeg.
- In small bowl, whisk together half and half, sour cream, mashed banana and extracts.
- Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with half and half mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Gently spread batter onto bananas in skillet.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool in skillet for 30 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of skillet to loosen cake.
- Invert onto serving platter.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.