Stuffed Piquante Peppers Save Print Recipe By: Alice Morrow Ingredients Assorted colors of…
GRAMMIE’S BANANA NUT BREAD
3 sticks butter, room temperature
3 c. sugar
5 large eggs
8 ripe bananas, mashed
1 T. vanilla extract
4 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
2 t. salt
1 c. buttermilk, well shaken
3 c. chopped roasted pecans
1 ½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
1 c. shredded coconut, optional
2 qts. favorite ice cream flavor
1. Preheat oven 350. Spray 4-6 (9×5”) loaf pans with PAM. The number pans you get depend size of pan and how much you fill it.
2. In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition.
4. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla and beat until blended.
5. In another bowl, sift together the flour, soda and salt.
6. Add the flour and buttermilk to the banana mixture, working in stages and beginning and ending with the flour. You can use the beater or fold by hand. Sometimes if you beat too much the bread can be too dense.
7. Fold in the pecans. If you want to add the chocolate chips or coconut or all you do it at this time.
8. Pour the batter into prepared loaf pans.
9. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Do not over bake. Insert a wooden skewer in the center, if it come out dry, remove from oven.
10. Cool slightly in pan before turning out onto serving platter. You can leave in loaf pan and cover with foil.
*****You can freeze the loaves after covering with foil. You can vary the nut selection also. You can also bake in the tiny loaf pans or even in a bundt pan.
You can also use store bought banana nut bread if you are in a hurry to put this together.
11. Heat an indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Cut off crust of the ends and slice the bread crosswise into thin slices. Place bread on hot grill and cook until dark grill marks form, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes. Allow bread to cool before making sandwiches.
12. Remove ice cream from freezer and thaw until spreadable but not melted, about 5-8 minutes. Scoop a generous amount of ice cream (about 1 c.) on a slice of grilled banana nut bread. Spread evenly across surface to make ½” of ice cream filling.
13. Top with another slice of grilled bread, pressing firmly to even out the ice cream. Wipe excess ice cream from edges and wrap each sandwich tightly with plastic wrap and place in freezer. You may have to chill ice cream to keep it from getting to soft while preparing all the sandwiches.
14. Chill the sandwiches until bread is frozen, at least 1-2 hours. Remove sandwiches from wrap, using a serrated knife, cut off a thin piece from all 4 sides. This creates a clean-looking sandwich. Allow a few minutes before serving, to soften the ice cream sandwich.