WONDERFUL WATERMELON MINT ICED TEA1 watermelon (to make 2 c. of melon juice)2 mint tea…
Grand Gumbo Hand Pies
Puff Pastry Sheets (the amount will depend on how big you make your pies), let defrost in refrigerator until ready to use This recipe will make about 2 dozen pies using a regular biscuit cutter size. You can also substitute Pillsbury Crescent Roll Sheets.
2 T. water
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. Cajun seasoning
1 t. canola oil
1 T. flour
½ (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 bay leaf
½ onion, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 T. minced garlic
Salt, red/black pepper, to taste
2 T. water
1 boneless skinless chicken breast or thigh cut into small pieces
½ c. smoked sausage, cut into small pieces
½ c. shelled shrimp, cut into small pieces
½ c. fresh or frozen okra, cut into small pieces
- Remove puff pastry or Crescent roll sheets from refrigerator. On floured surface, roll out the dough to a little more than 1/8” thick. Cut dough with biscuit cutter. Cover cut dough with cloth until ready to use.
- GUMBO FILLING: In 2 quart pot over medium heat, add oil. Once oil is hot, sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. Put heat on low and continue to stir and cook 15 minutes until roux turns reddish-brown color. Once roux cooked, add diced tomatoes with juice and bay leaf. Return heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery, saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and a little red pepper, cook 1 minute.
- Add water and cook scraping bits off bottom of skillet.
- Season chicken and add with sausage and okra. Cook for 5 minutes. Add seasoned shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato roux mixture and cook 2-3 minutes.