TASTY GALETTE DE TOMATE2 ½ c. flour1 T. sugarSalt/black pepper1 c. cold butter, cut into…
5 large eggs, separated
½ c. molasses
¼ c. plus 1/3 c. dark brown sugar
2 T. finely grated fresh ginger
¾ c. cake flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. ground ginger
¾ t. ground allspice
½ t. freshly ground black pepper
¼ t. salt
¼ c. plus 2 T. sugar
1 t. unflavored gelatin
1 T. cold water
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
½ t. ground cinnamon
12 oz. crème fraiche
½ c. powdered sugar
1 stick butter
2 (4”) cinnamon sticks
8 whole cloves
2 T. dark rum
2 T. apple cider
Powdered sugar for dusting
Toasted pecans and dried cranberries, garnish
- Preheat oven 325. Line 12×17” rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat yolks until pale. Add molasses, ¼ c. brown sugar and fresh ginger and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, ground ginger, allspice, black pepper and salt. Beat this mixture into the egg yolk mixture until combined.
- In another bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add ¼ c. sugar and beat until firm and glossy.
- Fold egg whites into batter until no streaks remain. Spread batter onto baking sheet in even layer. Bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to touch. Transfer to rack and let cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cake with remaining 2 T. sugar. Run blade of sharp knife around edge of pan. Cover cake with clean kitchen towel and top with a large cutting board. Holding pan, towel and cutting board, invert the cake onto the cutting board. Remove the pan and carefully peel parchment off. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let the gingerbread cool completely.
- In small microwave safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Microwave on HIGH for about 10 seconds or until melted.
- In clean bowl, beat cream cheese with cinnamon and melted gelatin until smooth.
- In another bowl, whip crème fraiche with powdered sugar until still. Fold the cream cheese into the crème fraiche.
- Spread filling evenly over entire surface of cake. Starting at short end, roll up the cake jelly-roll style.
- Wrap the roll tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until firm.
- In saucepan, melt butter. Add remaining 1/3 c. brown sugar and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Add cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Whisk in rum and cider and remove from heat. Let the butter/rum sauce steep for 1 hour. Discard sticks and cloves.
- Unwrap roll and transfer to a serving platter. Dust lightly with powdered sugar.
- Cut into slices and bring to room temperature.
- Garnish with pecans and cranberries and serve with a little of the butter/rum sauce.
*You can refrigerate the finished roll. The sauce can be refrigerated and gently reheat to serve again.