TASTY GALETTE DE TOMATE2 ½ c. flour1 T. sugarSalt/black pepper1 c. cold butter, cut into…
DUCK AND ANDOUILLE GUMBO
Duck and Andouille Gumbo
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 4-6 mallard ducks or similar
- 5 qt. water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 large onions, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 T. salt
- 2 T. black pepper
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 1 jar of ready made roux (or make your own)
- 2 large onions, chopped 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1-2 lbs. Andouille or smoked sausage, cut into ½” slices
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, black/red pepper/garlic powder
- 1-2 bunches green onions, chopped
- Steamed rice
- Baked Yams or Potato Salad
- Crusty bread
- Smothered Okra, optional
- 2-3 dozen oysters, optional
- Stock: In a large stock pot, combine all the ingredients for the stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 3-4 hours or until ducks are tender.
- Remove ducks and let cool. Debone and discard skin and bones. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Strain the stock and discard the solids. You can chill and let the fat congeal and then remove fat and discard.
- Gumbo: In a stock pot, make your roux or use the ready-made roux. I like to take the stock and place in pot and over medium heat, heat the stock and add the ready-made roux and dissolve. I add the roux slowly until I get the color I like. I like mine to be dark.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic. Stir to mix well.
- Add the duck, sausage and seasonings. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- At this point, I like to add smothered okra. This thickens the gumbo and adds great flavor. You can also add oysters at this point and just cook for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley or both.
*****Typically, we like to serve this over hot steamed rice, with a side of potato salad or baked yams and hot crusty bread. Most wonderful! Don’t forget to sprinkle a little file gumbo!