Stuffed Piquante Peppers Save Print Recipe By: Alice Morrow Ingredients Assorted colors of…
3-4 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 c. of olive oil for frying, more if needed
1 large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
4 T. minced garlic
2 (28-oz.) cans good quality whole, peeled Italian tomatoes, drained
Salt, black pepper, garlic powder
8 small eggplants, cut lengthwise ½” thick
¼ c. coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced and torn into small pieces
1 c. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3-5 T. dry bread crumbs
1. In large skillet, heat 3-4 T. olive oil.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
3. With your hands, crush tomatoes into skillet. Simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until sauce is thick, 20-25 minutes.
4. Transfer sauce to food processor and puree until smooth. Season to taste.
5. In large skillet heat ¼” olive oil. Season eggplant slices.
6. Working in small batches, cook eggplant over moderate heat, turning once, until golden on both sides. Takes 6-8 minutes per batch. Add more olive oil as needed.
7. Drain eggplant on paper towels.
8. Preheat oven 400.
9. Spread 1 c. sauce in 13×9” baking dish.
10. Arrange 1/3 of eggplant slices in dish and sprinkle with 1 T. basil.
11. Top with 1/3 of torn mozzarella and sprinkle 1/3 c. of grated Parmigiana.
12. Repeat this layering twice.
13. Sprinkle on top the bread crumbs.
14. Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until top of eggplant is golden and sauce is bubbling.
15. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
*****The overlapping look will depend on your baking dish.