Crispy Fried Zucchini/Squash Blossoms
Crispy Fried Zucchini/Squash Blooms
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 16-20 zucchini/Squash blossoms
- 1 c. fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ c. flour
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, black pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle lager beer
- Canola oil, for frying
- Carefully take your finger and dig a hole on the side of the blossom, opening it enough to dig out the pollen stem.
- Gently rinse the blossoms under cold water, careful not to damage thin petals. Lay on a rag and pat dry.
- In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with some salt, black pepper and Tabasco to taste.
- Fill a piping bag with the cheese and pipe 2-3 T. of the mixture into the blossom. Twist the petals to close tightly so the cheese does not ooze out during frying.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, Tabasco. Slowly add the beer into mixture and whisk to make a batter. Get rid of lumps.
- Place the canola oil in bottom of heavy skillet until it is about 2-3” deep. Oil should not be more than halfway up the side of skillet.
- Heat oil until hot.
- Dip the filled blossoms into the batter and carefully add to hot oil.
- Fry, flipping halfway through frying, until blossoms are golden and crisp, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with additional salt and serve while hot.
*****You can add other soft type cheeses like goat, etc. along with herbs, etc.