DELICIOUS BERRY GRATIN WITH CHAMPAGNE SABAYON1-2 c. fresh mixed berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry)3 T. sparkling…
CRISPY FRIED PICKLED OKRA
¾ c. Miracle Whip or mayo
3 T. chopped fresh chives
1-2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
2 T. minced garlic
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. adobo sauce (from can)
2 t. black pepper
1 lb. small to medium fresh okra pods
2 ½ c. apple cider vinegar
2 c. water
3 T. sugar
3 T. kosher salt
1 t. coriander seeds
1 t. mustard seeds
1 t. black peppercorns
1 garlic clove, smashed
1 bay leaf
Vegetable oil for frying
¾ c. flour
½ c. cornstarch
1 c. pale lager beer, chilled
- In bowl, whisk together mayo, chives, chipotle pepper, minced garlic, lime juice, adobo sauce, 1 t. black pepper until smooth. Refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Place okra in large heatproof bowl.
- In large saucepan, bring vinegar, 2 c. water, 2 T. salt, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorns, smashed garlic and bay leaf to boil over medium heat, cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar and salt dissolves.
- Pour vinegar mixture over okra.
- Place plastic wrap on top of pickling liquid to keep okra submerged. Let cook to room temp for 20-30 minutes. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- With slotted spoon, remove okra from pickling liquid, drain on paper towels. Pat dry.
- Halve, smash and slice okra as desired.
- Fill large Dutch oven halfway with oil and heat over medium heat until deep-fry thermometer registers 375.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, cornstarch, remaining salt and pepper.
- Whisk in beer until smooth.
- Working in batches, evenly coat pickled okra in batter, letting excess drip off.
- Fry until golden brown and crispy, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with the chipotle aioli.