|Creamy Spinach Soup with Toasted Almonds|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ c. yellow onion, grated
- ½ c. carrot, grated
- 1 t. kosher salt or to taste
- 1 t. fresh ground pepper
- ¼ t. fresh grated nutmeg
- 6 T. melted unsalted butter
- 6 T. flour
- 1 c. whole milk
- 8 c. fresh spinach, stemmed, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 T. lemon zest, minced
- 2 t. unsalted butter
- ½ c. sliced almonds
- In stockpot, simmer broth, onion, carrot and seasonings for about 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt the 6 T. butter over low heat; whisk in flour until you achieve a smooth white sauce.
- Whisk whole milk into white sauce, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Cook for 2 minutes to eliminate floury taste. Stir into the broth mixture, blending well.
- Add spinach and cook until it just wilts, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add cream and zest.
- In a small sauté pan, melt 2 t. butter over low heat. Add almonds and toast until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle 1 T. almonds over each serving of the soup.
*****Makes 6-8 cups.