2 liters diet root beer24 gummy worms, more if desired1 pt. low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt1…
2 large egg yolks
¼ lb. tasso ham, finely chopped
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese
1 T. Cajun seasoning
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
2 c. pastry flour
3 large eggs, beaten
3 c. panko bread crumbs
Canola oil for frying
Creole mustard, for dipping or your favorite dipping sauce
- Preheat oven 400. On rimmed baking sheet, roast yams until tender, about 1 hour.
- While yams are still warm, peel and pass through a food mill into a large bowl.
- Add yolks, tasso, cheese, seasoning. With a spatula, gently combine.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Prepare 3 shallow bowls of pastry flour, egg and panko.
- Roll each ball in the flour, the egg and then the panko bread crumbs and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze overnight.
- In large Dutch oven, pour oil to 4” deep and heat until deep-fry or candy thermometer reads 325.
- Add the balls, in batches and cook until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with Creole mustard or your favorite sauce.