|Black-Eyed Peas with Sausage over Rice|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1 (1 lb.) pkg. dried black-eyed peas
- 1 lb. pkg. pickled pork
- 1 lb. Hickory smoked pork sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- Salt, red/black pepper, garlic powder, to taste
- In large pot, place peas.
- Add the pickled pork, sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic
- Add water to cover and extend to 3-4” above the mixture.
- Add bay leaves and olive oil. Mix well.
- Place over medium-low heat. If comes to a boil, lower heat more.
- Just cook until tender.
- When peas are tender, add seasoning to taste.
*****Careful with salt, because the pickled pork and sausage add salt to the dish already. Serve over hot rice.