CRAWFISH HOLLANDAISE OVER FRESH ASPARAGUS2-3 lbs. pencil-thin fresh asparagus, trimmedextra virgin olive oilSalt, black pepper4…
Black Bean Soup
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 3 (15 ½-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 ½ c. chopped onions
- 1 T. minced garlic
- ½ c. chopped shallots
- 2 T. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ stick butter or ¼ c. olive oil
- 4 c. beef broth
- ½ c. dry sherry, optional
- ½ lb. cooked ham (any options, lean, ham hock,etc.)
- 3-4 T. sherry vinegar
- 1 (16-oz.) can pumpkin puree, optional
- Greek yogurt or sour cream, optional
- Chopped green onions, garnish
- In food processor, coarsely puree 2 cans of black beans and the tomatoes.
- In large Dutch oven, cook onion, shallots, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in butter or olive oil over heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown.
- Stir in bean puree and add remaining beans.
- Stir in broth and sherry until combined and simmer and uncover, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes or until thick. If you want to add the pumpkin puree, add at this point also. (The pumpkin puree gives it a little kick up. Try it if you would like something a little different.)
- Just before serving, add ham and vinegar and simmer soup, stirring, until heated through. Season to taste.
*****Garnish with yogurt or sour cream and chopped green onions. When I have leftover roasted fresh corn, I take it off the cob and add to the soup.