SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE SMOKY GRILLED VEGGIESSoaked wood chips4 ears of sweet corn, shucked1 of each color…
BEST APPLE CAKE IN AN IRON SKILLET
FOR APPLE TOPPING:
1 stick butter
¾ c. sugar
4 whole Granny Smith apples, cored, halved and each half cut into 6 equal pieces
1 stick butter, softened
2/3 c. sugar
1 ½ t. vanilla
½ c. sour cream, room temp
1 ½ c. flour
1 ½ t. baking powder
1 t. salt
½ t. ground cinnamon
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped finely
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven 375.
- APPLE TOPPING: In 9-10” iron skillet, melt butter over low heat.
- Add sugar to pan and stir around, then place apple slices, cut side down, in the pan.
- Don’t pack too tightly, but try not to leave overly large gaps.
- Allow to cook over low heat while you make cake batter, about 10 minutes.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla and eggs.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir together then gradually add flour mixture into creamed butter mixture until just combined.
- Gently stir in chopped apple.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Spoon batter over top, then spread gently so batter is evenly distributed.
- Place on a sheet lined with foil and bake 25-30 minutes or until cake is golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow cake to sit in skillet for 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve with ice cream.