REFRESHING WATERMELON GRANITA6 c. chopped seedless watermelon¼ c. sugar¼ c. fresh lime juice½ t. kosher…
|Basic Microwave Risotto with Variations|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
Basic Microwave Risotto with Variations
- ½ c. finely chopped sweet onion
- 2T. butter
- 1T. olive oil
- 1 c. uncooked Arborio rice
- 2⅔ c. chicken broth
- ¼ c. dry white wine
- ¼ c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ to ½ c. chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in medium sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice and microwave on HIGH 2 minutes.
- Stir in 2⅔ c. broth and ¼ c. wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, do not vent. Microwave on HIGH 9 minutes.
- Carefully swirl bowl without uncovering and microwave on HIGH 8 minutes.
- Carefully remove and discard wrap. Stir in cheese and ¼ c. broth, stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy.
- Add ¼ c. additional broth, 1 T. at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency. Season to taste.
VARIATIONS: CHEESE AND BACON 1. Substitute 1 c. shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese for parmesan. 2. Add 3 T. of jar pimento, drained; ¼ c. cooked and crumbled bacon; 2 thinly sliced green onions. GREEN PEA AND ASPARAGUS 1. ½ lb. asparagus, cut into 2” pieces, sauted in skillet. 2. Add ½ c. frozen sweet peas, thawed. 3. Add to basic risotto mixture along with 1 T. chopped mint, 1 t. lemon zest, 2 t. lemon juice. PORTABELLO-SPINACH 1. Saute 1 (8-oz.) pkg. sliced baby portabellas in 1 T. olive oil in skillet 2. Stir in 3 c. firmly packed fresh spinach, cook 1 minute. 3. Add all to basic risotto.