2 oz. mixed pineapple and cranberry juice, chilled2 oz. Sprite, chilled1 ¼ oz. shot Malibu…
2 ¼ c. milk
¼ c. coarsely ground chicory coffee
6 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
4 egg yolks, room temp
½ c. sugar
1 T. brandy
1 T. finely grated orange zest
3 very ripe bananas
2 t. banana liqueur
1 t. vanilla
¼ c. sugar
2 T. light brown sugar
1 ½ c. flour
¾ t. baking powder
¾ t. ground cinnamon
1/8 t. grated nutmeg
2-4 T. milk
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. CRÈME ANGLAISE: Combine milk, chicory, cloves and cinnamon in medium saucepan over medium heat and simmer. Remove pan from heat, cover, ref and leave to infuse for 1 hour.
2. Make an ice bath by setting a medium bowl into a larger bowl of ice.
3. Strain milk mixture through fine mesh into clean saucepan, discard solids.
4. Bring to simmer. In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until very pale and thick.
5. Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into eggs. When fully incorporated, transfer back to saucepan. Reduce heat to low and add brandy and zest. Switch to wooden spoon and cook, stirring, until mixture coats back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
6. Strain into bowl in ice bath. Add water to the ice to cool the sauce down faster. Stir the sauce until cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
7. BEIGNETS: Mash bananas in large bowl with potato masher. Add liqueur, extract, sugars and mix well.
8. In another bowl, mix flour baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
9. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and pour in the milk.
10. Mix until smooth and thick, like waffle batter, adding more mil if needed. Set aside and let rest 10 minute up to 1 hour.
11. In heavy pot set over medium heat, heat 2-3” of oil to 350.
12. Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once when the edges are firm.
13. Drain on paper towels.
14. Plate the beignets atop a pool of crème anglaise and dust with powdered sugar before serving.