2 ½ lbs. boneless beef chuck roast
¼ c. soy sauce
¼ c. good quality orange juice
2 T. minced fresh ginger
2 T. minced garlic
Salt, Cayenne pepper, to taste
Toasted sesame oil
3 c. broccoli florets
2 T. cold water
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. orange marmalade
¼ c. dry-roasted cashews, chopped, optional
3 c. cooked cellophane noodles
Fresh snips of parsley
1. Trim fat from meat and cut into 2” pieces.
2. Place seasoned meat in crock pot.
3. In a bowl, combine soy sauce, 3 T. orange juice, ginger, garlic and some cayenne pepper.
4. Pour mixture over meat. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours. You can drizzle in some sesame oil, if desired (about ½-1 teaspoon).
5. If using LOW setting, turn to HIGH and add broccoli, cover and cook another 10-15 minutes or until tender.
6. With slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl. With a fork, break meat into smaller pieces. Add broccoli to meat in the bowl, cover and keep warm.
7. Drain the liquid in crock pot through a fine-mesh sieve into a saucepan.
8. In a small bowl stir the water into the cornstarch. Stir into the strained liquid.
9. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
10. Remove from heat. Stir in marmalade and remaining orange juice. Taste for seasoning.
11. Add nuts and half of sauce to the meat mixture. Toss gently to coat.
12. Serve over hot cooked noodles. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Use extra sauce as needed.