Alice's Swiss Asparagus Casserole
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 5 T. butter, divided
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. paprika
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 (10 ¾-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. of grated velveeta cheese
- 1 c. chopped onion mixture
- 1 small jar pimento, drained, chopped
- 3 boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 (14½ –oz.) cans of chopped asparagus, rinsed and drained
- Red pepper flakes
- Italian bread crumbs
- In a small skillet, heat 1 T. butter and sauté the onion mixture. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, combine 4 T. butter, salt, paprika and flour. Place over low heat and blend until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Add the soup and cheese to this mixture. Stir until melted and blended.
- Add the sauté onions to the mixture, along with the pimento and chopped eggs.
- Blend well.
- Drain the asparagus, rinse and drain again. Season with salt and black pepper.
- In 2 qt. casserole dish, spray with PAM, put a thin layer of the cheese mixture.
- Place the seasoned asparagus on top of this cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with a little red pepper flakes.
- Put remaining cheese layer on top of asparagus.
- Sprinkle with a little bread crumbs and sprinkle some paprika.
- Bake 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
*****You can use fresh asparagus if you like.