Alice's Sausage Bread
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 6 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed in refrigerator
- 3 lbs. Jimmy Dean “Hot” bulk sausage
- 2 lbs. Savoie’s Hot Link Sausage
- 2 (12-16 oz.) jars of stuffed green olives, drained
- 2 (12-14 oz.) cans pitted black olives, drained
- 2 (14-oz.) jars sliced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 lb. grated Swiss Cheese
- 1 lb. grated velveeta jalapeno cheese
- 1 lb. grated mozzarella cheese
- In large pot, brown the sausage, breaking it into crumbles as it browns. Drain on paper towels. I actually, place in colander and rinse with hot water to get off all excess oil. Drain well.
- Slice link sausage and boil for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse and drain again.
- In food processor, add olives and jalapenos and process until finely chopped.
- In large bowl, mix olive mixture with bulk sausage. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix all cheeses and set aside.
- To assemble breads:
- Flour surface and roll dough out to the size of your baking sheet. Make sure dough has no holes in it.
- Place cheese mixture down the center of the dough about 4” wide and 1” from sides.
- Now place sliced sausage on top of cheese, try not to overlap.
- Cover with the olive mixture.
- Fold over the left and right sides toward the center to tuck in the edges (about 1-2”).
- Then take the side at the top and fold toward you and make sure it covers the mixture in the center.
- Then take edge closest to you and fold over the top of the other side you just brought over.
- Press seams together. Carefully lift loaf and flip over onto a sprayed baking sheet with PAM. You can put 2 loaves per baking sheet.
- If you are going to serve immediately, let rise and then bake 350 until golden brown. Let set for 10 minutes before slicing.
- If you want to freeze them, spray tops with PAM and cover with saran wrap and place in freezer. When frozen, keep saran wrap on and cover with foil, place back in freezer.
- To cook loaves that are frozen, remove from freezer, remove foil and saran wrap. Spray baking sheet with PAM. Place loaf on baking sheet and defrost in refrigerator.
- When defrosted, let rise in warm place. Bake as instructed above.
- You can also refreeze the cooked bread. Defrost and warm in oven.
*****This is a recipe that is worth doing large numbers because they freeze beautifully and can be used all year long.