CRAWFISH HOLLANDAISE OVER FRESH ASPARAGUS2-3 lbs. pencil-thin fresh asparagus, trimmedextra virgin olive oilSalt, black pepper4…
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach
- 2 T. margarine
- 2 T. plus 1 t. flour
- 3 T. chopped onion
- ⅔ c. reserved vegetable liquid
- ¾ c. evaporated skim milk
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 T. minced jalapeno
- 1 t. celery seed
- 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
- Red pepper to taste
- 6 oz. velveeta jalapeno cheese, cubed
- Buttered breadcrumbs
- Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquid.
- Melt margarine in saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended, but not brown.
- Add onion and cook until soft. Mixture will be coarse looking.
- While stirring constantly, slowly add reserved spinach liquid. To avoid lumps be sure to constantly stir until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, continue stirring. Cook until smooth and thick.
- Add seasonings and cheese. Stir until blended.
- Combine with cooked spinach.
- Placed into buttered casserole dish. Top with buttered breadcrumbs. (Melt 4 T. butter and mix with breadcrumbs.)
- Heat in 350 oven until bubbly. Can be frozen. Can make 2-3 days ahead. Gets better as it sits in refrigerator.
*****With the leftovers, you can stuff mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, etc. You can also add raw oysters (1 dozen) with step #7 and cook as usual. You can do other seafood if you like.