REFRESHING WATERMELON GRANITA6 c. chopped seedless watermelon¼ c. sugar¼ c. fresh lime juice½ t. kosher…
|Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 1 lb. hot bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 c. small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ c. soft, whole wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ c. plus 2T. chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 t. dried oregano
- Salt and red pepper to taste
- Cut squash in half crosswise and remove seeds. Cut the bottom of each squash half so that it will sit flat, if necessary.
- Place halves, cut side down in 13x9” baking dish. Add hot water to a depth of ½” in pan. Cover and bake 350 for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Drain squash on paper towels, cut side down.
- In large skillet, combine sausage, onion and garlic. Cook until sausage is browned and onion is tender. Break up the sausage so that it is in a crumble form. Drain.
- Combine sausage mixture, cottage cheese, 1 c. mozzarella, bread crumbs, ¼ c. parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir well. Spoon evenly into cooked squash halves.
- Return squash halves to baking dish. Combine remaining 1 c. mozzarella and 2 T. parsley. Sprinkle over squash halves.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 400 for 5 minutes or until completely hot.