Roasted Yam Nachos
Roasted Yam Nachos
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 4 c. cubed yams
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 T. ground cumin
- Salt, black pepper
- 10 corn tortillas (5 ½” in diameter)
- 1 t. chili powder
- Juice and zest of 1 fresh lime
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 T. adobo sauce from canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 (14-oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 serrano chile, seeded, chopped
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- ¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Preheat oven 425. Place cubed yams in a bowl and toss with 2 T. olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Make sure the yams are coated well. Spread on baking sheet and roast until soft and partially browned, about 20-30 minutes.
- Spray both sides of the tortillas with PAM, then stack them up and cut stack into 8 triangular pieces. Separate the pieces and lay on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the pieces with chili powder and salt and toss. Bake until crisp, about 12-15 minutes. Toss chips halfway through baking time. Remove chips from oven and toss with lime zest.
- Heat 1 T. olive oil in skillet. Add half of the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the adobo sauce and tomato paste. Stir until tomato paste darkens slightly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beans and ¾ c. water and simmer the sauce until it thickens and beans are heated through. Set aside until ready to assemble nachos.
- Combine tomatoes, remaining onions, serrano chile, lime juice, 1 t. olive oil and salt in a food processor. Pulse until it becomes a chunky salsa.
- To assemble nachos: Mound half of the chips in a 9x13” baking dish.
- Scatter most of beans and yams over the chips.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese.
- Mound rest of chips over cheese, then rest of beans, yams and cheese.
- Place in oven until cheese melts.
- Top with avocado, salsa and cilantro.