Drago's Charbroiled Oysters of New Orleans
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 lbs. butter, softened
- ½ c. finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 T. black pepper
- 1 t. oregano
- 6 dozen oysters
- 1 c. grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses, mixed
- 3 T. chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Hot French Bread
- Mix butter with garlic, pepper and oregano.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill and put the oysters on the half-shell right over the hottest part.
- Spoon seasoned butter over the oysters and enough so that some of it will overflow into the fire and flame up a bit.
- The oysters are ready when they puff up and get curly on the sides.
- Sprinkle the grated cheeses and parsley on top.
- Serve on the shells immediately with lemon wedges and hot French bread.
*****Sometimes you can buy the oysters shucked and on the shell, sometimes you can buy just the shells. If you have no luck with shells, you can put in ramekin dishes and do in the oven. They will not be as great as the original but will do in a pinch.