Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 T. butter
- 1 c. fresh corn kernels or fresh roasted corn kernels
- 1 c. minced red onion
- 1 ½ c. self-rising cornmeal mix
- ½ c. all purpose flour
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. cayenne
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. shredded fontina cheese or semi-soft cheese of your choice
- Canola oil for frying
- In medium skillet, melt butter and add corn and onion and sauté until onions are tender about 5 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine cornmeal mix, flour, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in cheese and corn mixture.
- In medium pot, pour oil to cover 3-4” of the bottom. Heat between 350-360.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons of the mixture into hot oil.
- Cook 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and serve with favorite dipping sauce like tartar, remoulade, catsup, etc. along with fried seafood or chicken