Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1 ½ c. flour, plus extra for sprinkling
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 ½ sticks cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ c. plus 1 T. ice water
- ¼ c. sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 T. finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ c. flour
- 4 c. fresh blueberries
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white, beaten
- In food processor, combine 1 ½ c. flour with salt and pulse to mix.
- Add butter and pulse until size of small peas.
- Sprinkle on ice water and pulse just until pastry starts to come together.
- Turn pastry out onto lightly floured work board and pat into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry to 14” round about ¼” thick.
- Fold pastry in half and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Unfold and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven 375. In large bowl, mix ¼ c. sugar with zest and flour.
- Fold in berries and lemon juice. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Spoon berries into center of pastry, leaving a 1 ½” border all around.
- Fold up the pastry border up and over the berries, pleating if necessary.
- Brush egg white on pastry and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 55 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and filling starts to bubble.
- Transfer baking sheet to rack and let tart cool to warm.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or room temperature.
*****Serve with ice cream or Cool-whip. Lemon flavored ice cream is a nice change.