Alice's Fresh Tomato Sauce
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 4-6 medium fresh tomatoes, cored, coarsely chopped (about 4 c.)
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 c. chopped onions
- 1 c. water
- ½ c. dry white wine
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. crushed thyme leaves
- 1 t. oregano and basil, each
- ½ c. tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, black pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 1 T. chopped capers, drained, optional
- In medium saucepan, heat oil until hot.
- Add onions and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water and wine and bring to boil for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, oregano, basil, bay leaves, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until sauce has thickened about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Taste for seasonings. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve over pasta or over broiled/grilled chicken.
*****Sauce freezes well. One of the sauces I use over Spinach Manicotti.