Alice’s Baked Cornish Hens
|Alice's Baked Cornish Hens|| |
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 6 cornish hens, seasoned inside and out with salt, red/black pepper and garlic powder
- 3 green apples cut into quarters, optional
- 12 strips bacon
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. white wine
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 (8-oz.) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 (8-oz.) fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 heaping T. flour
- 2 heaping T. currant jelly, optional
- 3 T. creole seasoning
- Mix chopped onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Put some seasoning on it.
- Wrap bacon around a quarter of apple.
- Cut butter into 6 equal portions.
- Take the butter, some of the veggie mixture and the bacon wrapped apple and stuff into birds.
- Place birds in roasting pan, breast side up. Cut remaining 6 pieces of bacon and make “X” on top of bird.
- Pour 1 c. of broth and wine into the pan. Cover pan with foil and bake 325 for 1 ½ hours or until tender.
- Remove foil and pour off juices into skillet.
- Replace birds back into oven and raise temperature to 500 and watch carefully so that they brown evenly without burning.
- To the pan juices, add green onions, parsley and fresh mushrooms.
- With the juice from canned mushrooms mix it with flour. Make sure it is well blended and smooth.
- Add this mixture to the green onions, etc. and add the canned mushrooms, also.
- Add the Worcestershire and jelly to the skillet. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste.
- Remove birds from oven and place on platter and pour sauce over birds or serve on the side.
This Post Has 0 Comments