Multi-Bean, Sausage and Bacon Soup
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 links of smoked pork sausage, cut into thin slices
- 4 slices of thick-sliced peppered bacon, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 1 lb. bag of the dried mixed beans
- 1 can Ro-tel
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 T. thyme
- 1 T. dried basil
- 2 c. peeled, coarsely chopped potatoes, optional
- ¼ c. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt, red/black pepper to taste
- In large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain and set aside.
- In large soup pot, add all the ingredients except bacon.
- Add enough water to cover everything in the pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender. Add more water if necessary. Soup should be sort of thick. Taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with bacon when serving the dish and garnish with parsley.