Chicken Tortilla Soup
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 3-4 lbs. of deboned chicken (leftovers from baked chicken or rotisserie chicken) or fresh chicken tenders-cut into bite size pieces.
- 3 pkgs. Bear Creek Chicken Tortilla Soup Mix or brand that you like
- 3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cans mexicorn, drained
- 1 jar Mrs. Renfro’s Green Salsa
- 1 jar Mrs. Renfro’s Black Bean Salsa
- 2 cans white shoepeg corn, drained
- 2 (8-oz.) containers of chopped onion mix
- 3 T. chopped garlic
- Salt, red/black pepper and cumin to taste
- Monterey Jack Cheese, for garnish
- Debone chicken. If using fresh chicken, cut into bite size pieces, season with salt, red/black pepper and cumin and sauté in a little olive oil and drain.
- After removing the chicken from browning, add onions and garlic and sauté. If chicken is already cooked just go ahead and do this step first.
- Follow directions on Tortilla Soup Mix .
- Add all ingredients except cheese in a large pot.
- Add chicken to soup mixture.
- Season to taste.
- Let simmer 45- to 1 hour.
- Serve and garnish with cheese.
*****This makes a large amount but freezes beautifully. If ever you have fresh corn maque choux put it in instead of canned corn. I have also added the leftover corn sauté mixture. The corn sauté mixture recipe was with the baked fish