Good Morning Foodies!Okay, I know that some of you are in the mind set of…
SOPHISTICATED KICKED-UP TATER TOT DISH
1 ¼ lb. beef top sirloin
Kosher salt/black pepper
6 T. butter, divided
1 c. yellow onion, diced
1 c. red bell pepper, diced, plus extra for garnish
1 c. poblano pepper, diced, plus extra for garnish
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
¼ c. fresh jalapenos, minced (seeded), plus extra for garnish
4 T. minced garlic
1/3 c. flour
1 T. soy sauce
Tabasco to taste
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 c. whole milk
¼ c. sour cream
¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, divided
2 c. fresh corn kernels
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ½” cubes
4 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, cut into ½” cubes
2 lbs. frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven 350.
- Slice beef against grain into thin strips. Then rough chop into ½-1” sized pieces.
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat large cast iron skillet, with tall sides over medium heat.
- Add beef and brown, stir occasionally.
- Remove beef to plate with slotted spoon. Discard but 2T. of beef fat and add 2 T. of butter in the pan.
- Once butter is melted, add onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper, mushrooms, jalapeno and garlic. Stir to mix. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Slide everything in skillet to one side. Tilt skillet to draw juices away from veggies.
- Add 4 T. butter to empty side.
- When butter melted, sprinkle flour over butter, whisk. Draw in as much butter, beef fat and juices from veggies as you an into the flour. Mixture will be thick and paste-like. Cook 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Add soy sauce, Tabasco and Worcestershire to the gravy side of skillet. Whisk for 1 minutes.
- Slowly add milk while you whisk and scrape bottom of skillet.
- Once mixture is smooth, bring the veggie mixture into the milk mixture and add reserved beef.
- Stir to mix. Cook until thickened, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, 2 T. chopped cilantro.
- Then add corn and half of each cheeses. Stir to blend.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Level out mixture in skillet.
- Top with frozen tater tots.
- Place skillet in preheated oven and bake 35 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese cubes and plenty of black pepper.
- Place skillet back in oven and bake another 10 minutes.
- Then place under the broiler for a few minutes, until dish is bubbling and tots and cheese are browned to your liking.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with reserved diced red bell pepper, poblano, jalapeno and cilantro. Serve hot. May want to serve with catsup on the side.