Candy Cane Cake
Candy Cane Cake
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1 c. sifted cake flour
- 1 ¾ c. sugar
- 12 egg whites, at room temp
- 1 t. cream of tartar
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. almond extract
- 8 oz. peppermint candy canes
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven 325.
- Sift together flour and ¾ c. sugar. Sift again and set aside.
- In large bowl of standing mixer, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Add ¾ c. sugar and vanilla and almond extracts. Continue beating until egg whites are firm but not dry.
- Sift ⅓ of flour mixture into egg whites and with a rubber spatula, gently fold in mixture into the egg whites.
- Add remaining flour in two batches, folding gently after each addition.
- Turn batter into ungreased 10” tube pan and bake until browned and firm to the touch, about 45-60 minutes.
- Invert cake in pan on a cooling rack for 1 hour. When completely cool, run a long, thin sharp knife between cake and pan to loosen and remove cake.
- Put candy canes in plastic bag and crush them into small pieces with rolling pin or meat pounder. You can sift the crushed candy through a fine mesh strainer if you want to keep the candy “dust” out of the candy. Set crushed candy aside.
- In large bowl beat cream with remaining ¼ c. sugar until soft peaks form.
- Frost cake with whipped cream using a spatula to form swirls and peaks.
- Sprinkle frosted with crushed candy. To have candy stick on sides, hold your had about 1” from cake and gently toss crushed candy at the sides.
- Serve immediately and keep in refrigerator when not being served.