Whole Wheat Tortilla Chicken Casserole
WHOLE WHEAT TORTILLA CHCKEN CASSEROLE
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1 package whole wheat tortillas or your favorite type
- 3 c. chopped chicken or 1 Rotisserie chicken (remove chicken from bones and cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 c. of large chopped onion, red, green, yellow bell peppers or sometimes you can buy what they call Fajita Mix Cuts
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15.25-oz.) cans Del Monte Southwest Corn with Poblano and Red Peppers, drained
- 1 t. chili powder
- 2 c. good thick salsa
- 1 c. mild chow-chow, optional
- 16 oz. fresh pico de gallo
- 1 ½ c. sour cream
- 3 c. jalapeno Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 (8.5-oz.) boxes Seeds of Change Spanish Rice or Caribbean Rice
- Preheat oven 350. Spray a casserole dish large enough to fit tortillas.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and saute the chopped onion and bell peppers.
- Mix in the chili powder, beans and corn. Mix well. Taste for seasoning.
- In another bowl, mix salsa, sour cream, chow-chow and pico.
- Prepare the rice according to directions on the box.
- Layering process: Place a layer of tortillas, then salsa mixture, chicken, another tortilla, bean mixture, some of the rice, cheese. Then repeat again until you reach the top. The top layer should be cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is bubbly and browning.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley and serve.
*****Depending on the shape of your baking dish you can cut into squares or pie shaped wedges. You can also make smaller pans and freeze.