Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 (1 lb.) frozen dough loaves of bread
- 3 T. butter, melted
- 2 T. sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- ¾ c. roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 c. Miracle whip or mayo
- ½ c. finely chopped pepperoncini
- 1 lb. sliced deli smoked turkey
- 1 lb. sliced deli ham
- 1 lb. sliced provolone cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head of lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 pretzel sticks or toothpicks
- 2 mini cucumber slices
- 2 ripe olive slices
- Thaw dough according to package directions.
- Roll dough from each loaf into 2” thick log, shaping the end of one log to resemble a snake head and the end of the second log to resemble the rattle.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets, curving slightly to resemble a snake.
- Cover with kitchen towels. Let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven 350.
- Brush dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with seeds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut roasted peppers into 3” long strip to make a snake tongue. Set aside.
- Finely chopped remaining peppers and place in a bowl.
- Stir in mayo and pepperoncini.
- On large cutting board, trip off the plain end of each loaf, leaving the head and tail intact.
- Cut each loaf horizontally in half.
- Connect the bottom halves to make a snake.
- Layer with meat, cheese, tomatoes, 4 c. sliced lettuce.
- Spread top haves with 1 c. sauce.
- Place over lettuce.
- Insert snake tongue.
- For grass, arrange remaining lettuce around the sandwich.
- Insert pretzel sticks to attach the cucumber slices and olives for eyes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut into 20 slices, serve with remaining sauce.