Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 3-4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 c. green cabbage, sliced
- 4 oz. pancetta, diced
- 1 c. dried cannellini beans, rinsed
- ¼ c. tomato paste
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt, black pepper
- 5 thick slices of crusty bread
- ¼ c. chopped fresh parsley
- 3 T. olive oil, extra for drizzling
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- Combine carrots, celery, cabbage, pancetta, beans, tomato paste, salt, pepper and 7 c. water in 6 qt. crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- Leave one slice of bread out to dry out slightly.
- Add stale bread to crock pot.
- Cover and continue for another 10 minutes.
- Stir the soup well. Add the parmesan and parsley.
- Season to taste.
- Place remaining bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Broil until golden, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Place toasted bread in soup bowl.
- Heat 3 T. olive oil and garlic in a skillet. Cook, swirling pan often until garlic is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the garlic and oil into the soup.
- Ladle soup over bread in bowls and serve.