Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 4 (8-oz.) russet potatoes, scrubbed and washed
- 2 T. butter
- ⅓ c. half and half, heated
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 dried raisins or currants
- 12 toasted slivered almonds
- 8 baby carrots, cut into 16 (1/2”) legs
- 2 chives, sliced into ¼” pieces
- 1 slice white cheddar, cut into 4 tongues
- Preheat oven 425.
- Prick cleaned potatoes with fork. Bake on baking sheet until tender, about 1 hour.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise at an angle.
- Scoop insides, leaving ¼” border.
- Mash potato, butter, half and half. Season. Fold in shredded cheese.
- Stuff half the shells with filling. Bake 10 minutes to heat.
- Meanwhile, poke holes with skewer in empty shells for hippos’ nostrils, eyes, ears and tail.
- Add raisin or currants for eyes, almond for ears and almond for tail.
- Top each fill hot shell with empty one.
- Place each potato on 4 pieces of carrots for legs.
- Add the chive for teeth and cheese for tongue.