Grilled Creole Tomato, Fresh Mozzarella and Pesto Panini
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND TURKEY CHILI
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 T. minced garlic
- ¼ c. chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 T. ground coriander
- ⅓ c. tomato paste
- Salt, black pepper
- 3-4 c. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (14-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Sour cream, garnish
- Grated sharp cheddar cheese, garnish
- Heat 1 t. in large Dutch oven. Add turkey and cook, breaking into chunks, until well browned.
- Push turkey to edge of pan, leaving center empty. Reduce heat and add rest of olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic to center and cook until soften.
- Add chili powder, cumin and coriander and stir for 30 seconds. Incorporate the turkey.
- Add the squash, tomatoes, 4 c. water, scraping bottom of pan to release and stuck bits.
- Bring to a simmer, uncovered and cook until thickened and squash is tender.
- Stir in beans and cook until heated. Season to taste. Stir in the vinegar.
- Spoon the chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro, sour cream and cheese, if desired.