Purple People Eater Potato Salad
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2-3 lbs. purple-skinned fingerling potatoes, quartered lengthwise (These are hard to find, but if you can get them, try them.)
- 6 boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 head of garlic, top sliced off
- 2 t. red pepper flakes
- 6 T. apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 t. sugar
- ¼ c. greek yogurt
- ½ c. Miracle Whip mayo
- ¼ c. horseradish sauce
- ¼ c. yellow mustard
- 3 stalks of celery, finely diced
- ½ c. sweet pickle relish
- 3 T. fresh chopped dill
- ¼ c. fresh chopped parsley
- Fresh black pepper
- Black and green olives and pimento, garnish, optional
- In a pot, combine the potatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 T. of the vinegar and 1 T. salt. Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Add the onion and cook until almost tender, about 1 minute. Drain, discard the garlic. Set aside.
- Separate the yolks from the whites.
- Mash yolks. Add 2 T. of the vinegar, mustard, sugar and horseradish sauce. Blend until makes a paste.
- In a large bowl, mix 3 T. vinegar with the mayo, greek yogurt and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped celery and pickle relish. Fold in potatoes and dill and parsley. Taste for seasoning. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with olives and pimento, optional.