Spicy and Sweet Potato Salad
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 T. paprika
- 2 T. kosher salt
- 1 T. light brown sugar
- 1 T. black pepper
- 2 t. chipotle chile powder
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1 t. dry cumin
- 2 lbs. yams, peeled and sliced into ¼” thick, then cut in half moon shapes
- Olive oil
- 6 slices hickory smoked bacon
- ¾ c. Miracle whip or mayo
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- 3 T. creole mustard
- 1 T. adobo sauce from chipotle packed in adobo
- Kosher salt, black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Mix all the ingredients for the rub and set aside.
- In large pot, place yams in cold water and bring to boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, do not overcook. Drain and place in large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss with 2-3 T. of rub. Make sure all the yams are coated but don’t overdo.
- Cook bacon, drain and crumble.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, cilantro, mustard, adobo sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss in half of the bacon and all of the potatoes. Taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with remaining bacon and green onions.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
*****The leftover rub can be used on meats and chicken.