MR. PAT’S FAMOUS BAKED CHRISTMAS GOOSE
Mr. Pat’s Famous Baked Christmas Goose
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 1-2 fresh cleaned and seasoned geese
- ¼ of onion, apple or orange, bell pepper (for each goose cavity
- Whole garlic cloves (enough to put 3-4 in cavity and 2-3 under skin on breast side)
- 1-2 pieces of hickory smoked bacon per goose
- 1 (16-oz.) container of fresh chopped onion
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 3-4 T. minced garlic
- 1 (8-oz.) container sliced mushrooms
- 1 (6-oz.) can mushroom steak sauce
- 2 sticks margarine or butter
- Steen’s Cane Syrup (enough to cover bottom of your pot you are using)
- Salt, red/black pepper, garlic powder
- 1-2 bunches fresh green onion, chopped
- In large roasting pot, melt the margarine or butter (Hubby prefers the margarine!)
- Take ¼ of onion, fruit, bell pepper and wrap a piece of bacon around it and secure with toothpick.
- Season the birds and stuff the bacon bundle into the cavity of bird. You can also shove a few pieces of whole garlic in the cavity.
- Lift the skin from the breast side and stuff some the garlic under it.
- Brown the birds in the margarine until golden on all sides.
- Remove birds.
- Drain off excess margarine from the pot.
- Pour enough syrup to cover the bottom of pot. Heat up.
- Place birds back in and brown again in the syrup. Remove birds again.
- Place the chopped onion, bell peppers and garlic into the pot and saute until tender.
- Add the mushroom steak sauce and mushrooms; stir to blend.
- Gently add the birds back into the pot.
- Slowly add warm water until the birds are ¾ covered.
- Place in a 350 oven covered for 2-3 hours or until tender. After about 1 hour of cooking, tilt the lid a little or remove it and let birds cook until they look browned. Taste gravy for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onions and serve over hot rice.
*****For a great change, in the last 30-45 minutes, place some sliced yams into the gravy and cook until tender. The yams add a nice sweetness to the taste and it also helps thicken your gravy. Wonderful!!!!