Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 2 c. dried pinto beans
- 3 ½ c. water
- 1 (15.25-oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10-oz.) can Ro-tel
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 carrots, scraped and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. salt or more
- 3 T. chili powder
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 c. shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- Sort and wash beans. Place in Dutch oven. Cover with water and then 2” more above.
- Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans and return to Dutch oven.
- Add the 3 ½ c. of water to drained beans.
- Add the next 12 ingredients. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook another 30 minutes or more until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving. Taste for additional seasoning.
- To serve top with cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions.