Fabulous Cheese Soup
Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 4 cans Swanson chicken broth
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 c. water
- 8 medium yukon gold or red potatoes, cut in quarters
- 4 carrots, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into pieces
- 1 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c. flour
- 2 pts. Half and half
- 2 lbs. velveeta cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In large stock pot, place first 7 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Take veggies out of broth with slotted spoon and puree in food processor or use hand immersion blender. Add back to the broth if in food processor.
- In medium saucepan, make a thick white sauce. Melt butter and add flour.
- Stir until blended.
- Slowly add 1 pint of half and half until you achieve a thick white sauce.
- Add the white sauce to the broth and mix well. You can also use the immersion hand blender to further mixing it.
- Add cheese and blend well.
- Taste for seasoning.
- When getting ready to serve, just add additional half and half to get the right consistency that you like.
*****If you think this soup is too thick, thin it with more milk. You can change up recipe by using other veggies. If you find you have leftover veggies in refrigerator, just throw them in. You know anything made with velveeta is divine. My sister-in-law, Becky M. Cato, started this recipe. We would just make big batches, get some good hot toasty bread with a nice glass of wine, sit by the fire and just chat. Some of my most favorite memories. This soup can also pass for a great cheesy potato soup. This soup is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!