- ½ c. butter
- ½ c. flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 c. carrot sticks
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, cut into quarters, optional
- 32 oz. Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 8 c. water
- 2 bunches asparagus, stemmed and washed (save a few for garnish)
- Salt, black pepper
- Milk, optional
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Red pepper flakes
1. In large stock pot, melt butter and whisk in flour until it is creamy and smooth.
2. Gradually add stock and continue to whisk. Add water and make sure it is all blended.
3. Add the onion, carrots, potato, asparagus and let simmer until all veggies are tender.
4. With a hand held immersion blender or food processor, puree the whole pot.
5. Season to taste.
6. When ready to serve, add the amount of milk you like to make it creamy and serve hot.
*****Garnish with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream and a few sprigs of asparagus and with some red pepper flakes. Freezes very well. Try to freeze without the milk if you can.
YOU CAN MAKE CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP FOLLOWING THE SAME RECIPE. SUBSTITUTE THE ASPARAGUS WITH 2 (10-oz.) PACKAGES OF FRESH BROCCOLI.