Recipe By: Alice Morrow
- 3 c. crushed Tostitos Chips (I like to use the ones with hint of Lime or whole Wheat ones)
- 3 T. butter
- 1 ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 1 c. chopped onion mix
- 1 (1 ¼-oz.) envelope taco seasoning mix, divided
- 3 T. water
- 1 c. salsa
- 2 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened to room temp
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c. grated Mexican blended cheese
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 2 T. flour
- Crackers or chips, optional
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, avocado, more grated cheese, salsa
- Stir together the crushed chips with the butter. Press in bottom of 10” springform pan.
- Bake 325 for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, brown the ground beef and the chopped onions. Break it up into crumble form. Cook until no longer pink.
- Drain on paper towels on baking sheet.
- Place beef back in skillet and add taco seasoning (reserving 2 t. of the mix), salsa and water. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy in a bowl. Add eggs and the 2 t. taco seasoning mix. Beat until blended.
- Blend in the 2 c. of Mexican cheese to the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread this over the crushed chips and 1” up the sides.
- Spoon the beef mixture over this layer.
- Combine sour cream and flour and spread over the meat layer.
- Bake 325 for 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges to release sides of springform pan. Place on serving dish. Serve warm with toppings and crackers or chips.
*****If you have leftover taco meat, you can substitute it for the step with ground meat.